A low budget PR campaign with big reach
The communications team at Marine Society and Sea Cadets (MSSC) needed our help to persuade former Sea Cadets to sign up to a nationwide legacy survey.
Find out how an agile media relations strategy turned a low budget campaign into 530 online sign ups and an OTSH (opportunity to see and hear) reach of 840,000 people.
- Reach and influence former Sea Cadets across Britain via local, regional and national media coverage
- Persuade former cadets to respond to an online legacy survey (My LegaSea)
- Identify case studies and human interest stories among former cadets to discover the impact sea cadet training can have on life opportunities and career prospects
- Raise awareness of My LegaSea nationally
- Launched a national search/ call-out for former Sea Cadets specifically targetting every generation since 1942 and the Second World War
- Developed media angles, including identifying Britain’s oldest living Sea Cadet and marking 80 years since the outbreak of World War II, to engage journalists, editors and producers
- Set-up interview opportunities and photo calls for My LegaSea lead researcher Anna Spencer and selected ex-cadets
- Targeted geographical areas that best represented the national Sea Cadet districts structure
- 35 pieces of media coverage
- During the six week media campaign – 530 respondents completed the My LegaSea survey online
- In-depth radio interviews on local BBC Radio stations in Sussex, Norfolk, Lancashire and Cumbria
- Extensive print, online and social coverage from Northern Ireland to England’s South Coast
- OTSH – Opportunity to See and Hear reach of 837,434 people – combining estimated online coverage views, print circulation of earned media and the weekly audience figures (*RAJAR) of the BBC Radio stations where coverage was achieved
- The tone and sentiment of the campaign was 100% positive – there was no negative coverage for My LegaSea
Matthew Moore Consulting spent four days (32 hours) on the campaign for a budget of £1800
Matthew Moore really understands how to work on targeted briefs with tight deadlines. For My LegaSea he quickly grasped our messages, demographic and objectives. Matthew tailored the campaign to maximise reach and was prompt and effective in delivering the agreed coverage outcomes.Anna Spencer, Project Manager, My LegaSea (MSSC)
Matthew worked on the My LegaSea project at a time when we needed strategic press and PR activity to support our national research project. Our brief required national reach, tailored press releases and targeted activity to specific demographics and geographies. He was quick to develop a comprehensive understanding of the needs of our campaign as well as the wider press and PR context in which it sat. Matthew not only responded to our needs, but also added value to our strategy and the approach taken.
Matthew Moore Consulting deliver excellent value for money. His pricing for work in the voluntary and charitable sector is achievable even for organisations with limited resources.
Matthew really makes the most of the allocated hours and creates additional value. He is really approachable, great at communication and prompt at delivery. MMC also look for ways to maximise the brief and exceed targets.